Friday, March 17, 2006

Split Urad Beans Cooked in the Lucknow Style, p 114


Split Urad Beans Cooked in the Lucknow Style
Lucknavi Urad Dal
India
Prep Time: 5-10 min
Soaking Time: 4 hrs
Cook Time: 35 min + 5 minutes active time for tarka
WW Pts (4 svgs): 5
Bonus: served with those snazzy onions on top, no mustard seeds to pop out and cause injury

This is a nice dish, where the beans get flavored twice - the get cooked with chile & cumin and they get topped with an oniony tarka. The onion and cumin taste reminded me alot of the Red Lentils with Cumin and Scallions, which is also delicious. The urad dal presents nicer than the red lentils do.

I cooked the beans in the braising pan, so I didn't switch dishes before serving. The recipe implieas that after cooking, the urad dal can sit for a bit while it waits for the tarka. It seemed that way to me, which would make it a good dish to serve for company.


Just before the beans are cooked and after the dish is finished.



4 comments:

Michelle said...

I love urad beans. And you know how you've been talking about integrity (I think you said it twice either in person or in email), I'm with you on urad vs. other dal. There was something about the "lucknow" style that made me not make it, but I'm forgetting now. Fennel seeds? Or an ingredient I don't have? Yours looks yummy, as always.

Stacey said...

I thought you made this - or would like it. It's loaded with cumin. That's you who likes the cumin, right?


just to clarify for anyone who might read this: integrity of the beans and their structure. personal integrity is a topic for a different day

Michelle said...

i made the one with just cumin, on the same page. yeah, when you first said "integrity" i thought you were talking about the personal type. but through context i figured you were talking about "structure." no one usually around to talk about bean integrity with. funny.

Michelle said...

oh, i forgot to add -- yeah, it's me and the cumin...forever.