Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Persian Egg Pie with Herbs, p 537

Shamsi Davis' Persian Egg Pie with Herbs
Kookoo SabziIran
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 10 min
WW pts (3 svgs, cutting oil by 1/2 and using 12 oz of tofu): 5
Bonus: can be made vegan and ovo simultaneously
Bummer: lots of herb chopping

I made this without fenugreek leaves, because I didn't go out to buy them. Oddly, when was at Patel Market on Monday, I saw fenugreek leaves and almost bought them, but I didn't, so they were not in this dish. Fortunately, they were optional.

Even without the fenugreek leaves, his dish has alot of fresh green herbs, which are a bitch to chop but give a nice spring flavor. I could have spent the afternoon outside, playing in the nearly spring weather, but I decided to make this meal and eat the springtime instead. At least the window was open.

I followed the recipe, but cut the herb mixture into three equal portions - one portion, for my husband, was made with eggs. One portion went into the fridge for tomorrow. One portion was mixed with 4 ounces of extra firm tofu that was blended with a spoonful of nutritional yeast, a sprinkle of turmeric and arrowroot powder mixed with water. I cooked my vegan egg pie over medium-low heat and kept it warm in the oven while the rice finished cooking.
The action shot on the left is the mixing of the vegan egg pie

No comments: