Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Puree of Zucchini, p 297

Niloofar Haeri's Puree of Zucchini
Qalye Kadu
Iran
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
WW pts (as directed, 4 svgs): 3
WW pts (cutting oil by 1/2, 4 svgs): 1
Bonus: one pan; can be served "hot, warm, at room temperature, or chilled"


Start to end, this dish took about 50 minutes, mostly active cook time. It might have taken less time if I didn't stop to cry halfway through chopping the onions. I didn't peel the zucchini, I didn't strive for perfect 1/4 inch dice, and I cut the oil in half.

I made this entire dish while the saffron was soaking and let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours. Shortly before serving, I put the zucchini to warm in the oven. It was the easiest dish of the evening and probably the best loved. I will be making this again, and it would do well as a potluck dish.

I was initially worried about the texture of this dish and how my husband would respond to eating pureed vegetables, but it turned out to be a non-issue. I mashed the zucchini, but it didn't mush, still retaining some shape.

No comments: