Friday, March 17, 2006

Lemon Rice, p 380

Lemon Rice
Elamcha Saatham
India
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes for rice + 5 minutes active time for tarka
WW Pts: 6
Bonus: tasty, easy, more festive than white rice, made with curry leaves, goes well with Stir-Fried Carrots & Ginger with Mustard Seeds
Bummer: 2 (or 3) pans

This was a pretty simple, but tasty dish. The rice cooks and is topped off with a simple tarka and some lemon juice & zest. I mixed it all together in a separate, serving dish, but you could probably mix the tarka into the pot that the rice was cooked in.

The tarka - a tarka, as I understand it, is the topping for other dishes, a topping that is made when spices &/or herbs &/or aromatics are added to hot oil and cooked quickly - contains mustard seeds, which sometimes pop out of the pan. It's a risk, but one that I will continue to take. Even after today's unfortunate incident with a mustard seed landing on my neck.


If you look closely at the photo on the right, you will notice not only a plethora of curry leaves (I have a tendency to add extra) and mustard seeds, but little yellow specks of lemon zest.

Leftovers
This recipe makes alot of rice, so leftovers are likely. I kept this in a covered casserole dish for about a week and reheated each serving with a few drops of water. 'twas fine.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

hmm, your picture captures the yellow zest better than mine, I think. Nice picture and yummy rice!

Anonymous said...

Ooooooo....I can't wait to try this one!

I just made Mexican rice inspired by vegan lunchbox (using Knudsen's very veggie juice) and it was delicious. Now I'll try this one!