Saturday, April 08, 2006

Red Lentils with Zucchini, p 70

Red Lentils with Zucchini
Vegetarian Dalcha
India
Prep Time (for zucchini topping): 20-30 min (some can be done while onions are browning)
Cook Time (for zucchini topping): 20 min (can be done while lentils are cooking, not all active time)
WW Pts (cutting oil in 1/2): 5
WW Pts (as directed): 6
Bonus: super yummy; looks more elaborate than it is; leftovers are just as tasty
Bummer: chopping

I've made this before and it is one of my favorite dishes of all the recipes I've made from World Vegetarian. I make the lentils in my pressure cooker and can usually get this, rice and greens on the table in about an hour start to finish, which for me, is pretty good.

One problem I have with some of the recipes in the book is the cook times. I'm often finding the need to add 5, 10 minutes or more to the recipes. Maybe the zucchini isn't supposed to be cooked through, or maybe it's supposed to be sliced into super-thin slices. I just add extra cooking time (like ten extra minutes) to it.

I made this recipe on Saturday because I was going to a party and I was going to bring "something wrapped in filo." Yes, I wrapped this in filo and it was good - real good. I chopped the zucchini and garlic smaller than the recipe called for, used the full amount of oil, and cooked the lentils a little drier than they are usually made. After mixing the zucchini with the lentils, I let it cool in the fridge. When I was ready to make the filo triangles, I stirred in a few squeezes of lime. They were wrapped and baked the same as any traditional filo triangle appetizer. Oh yeah, they were good. I would do it again with this recipe, or with the Red Lentils with Cumin and Scallions. Also, many thanks to Michelle, who helped talk me through the filo idea.

onions and spices (can you hear the sizzling?) and the completed lentil dish (pre-filo-ing)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

ugh, i thought there was a comment here, too? maybe it was when commenting doesn't work. anyway, wanted to say that this is one of my favorites, too. so yummy.