Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Crumbled Potatoes with Peas, p 280

Mitthan Bhabi's Crumbled Potatoes with Peas
Aloo Matar
India
Prep Time: 30-35 min (includes cooking and crumbling potatoes)
Cook Time: 30-35 min
WW Pts (1/2 oil): 3
WW Pts (as directed): 4
Bonus: can be done with no chopping; dish can hang out inlow oven while finishing dal; few fresh ingredients
Bummer: 2 pots, but the first one can be cleaned before cooking in the second one is finished

This was the first time I made this dish (maybe - I don't remember making it before and I have no notes about it, but I could have made it in the past). I wanted to make aloo gobi, but since we were unable to acquire organic cauliflower on Easter, the aloo matar would have to do. Unfortunately, I had less than 1 cup of peas in the freezer. I used less oil and canned diced tomatoes instead of chopped fresh. This tomato substitution is a common one I've been making over the course of this project.

The potatoes were cooked first, allowed to cool slightly and then peeled and crumbled. Usually, I skip peeling potatoes, but to avoid the matrimonaial discourse that comes with potato skins, I used my fingers to peel the cooked potaoes. I did this carefully, trying not to remove the super thin layer just under the skin, which holds many of the nutrients.*

In the introduction, Jaffrey says it is similar to Potato Cooked With Fennel Seed, but I thought it was more like Potatoes, Carrots & Peas. Looking at the recipes, it uses the same techniques as the former and contains some of the same spices as the latter. I was surprised the cumin-flavor wasn't more pronounced. It was a good dish, but not outstanding. It was a pretty easy dish to make, and for those of you who don't like to cut onions, the recipe doesn't call for any. I'll probably make this again, but I don't need to make this again.

Leftovers
Yes, they're tasty. Tasty and a little spicier.

*I don't know where I learned this, but there is a definite truthiness that all the potato nutrients are kept right under the skin.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

yummy! and yeah for no onion chopping (though i'm not chopping them whether the recipe calls for them or not!)