Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Carrot "Raita", p 547

Carrot "Raita"
Gajar Ka Raita
India
Prep Time: 15-20 min
Cook Time: 15-20 min for the cooked carrots to cool
WW Pts (1/2 oil, using Wildwood soyogurt, 6 svgs): 1
WW Pts (as directed, using Wildwood soyogurt, 6 svgs): 2
Bonus: colorful, cooling, a little sweet
Bummer: it can be hard to find good vegan soyogurt

This was a fairly easy dish to make, it can be made in advance and it would be a nice accompaniment to many other dishes in this book. I use Wildwood brand plain soyogurt. It's the only one tangy enough for savory dishes. I thought the dish was good, but mom decided it was too tangy and needed more salt. I will probably make it again, but not for mom.

Before I made this, I wondered why Michelle used quotation marks when she posted her photos of this dish. Well, the book has quotation marks, also. I'm not exactly sure why they're there, but it does remind me of this commentary on Weight Watchers recipe cards from 1974.

Leftovers
Of course, it's raita.

Easter Dinner: Crumbled Potatoes with Peas, Urad Dal in Delhi Style and Carrot Raita served with matzoh instead of paratha

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Yeah, it was almost like the book knew that we were going to sub soy "yogurt" with those quotation marks. Or is she trying to say these are not true raitas? And if so, why not?

Thanks for that weight watchers link. Funny.

Nupur said...

I love your blog...this is one of my favorite cookbooks and I have been using it a lot lately. It is great to see your reviews of the recipes. I made this carrot raita a couple of days ago and we loved it.