Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Fennel and Orange Salad, p 623

Fennel and Orange Salad
Morocco
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Rest Time: 30-60 minutes up to 24 hours
WW Pts (as directed): 1
Bonus: no-cook, 1 bowl, transportable, common ingredients
Bummer: slicing fennel thinly

I first came across this recipe when my friend asked for a recipe to use her fennel bulb and I sent her this. I don't know if she actually made it or not, even though she is the proud owner of a lovely mandoline, which used to take up space on my counter. When I found myself in posession of a beautiful fennel bulb, I made the salad, thinking it would be a wonderful cooling treat to eat as I bask in the warm springtime sunshine at Shea. It would have been - if there was sunshine.

I didn't cut my orange slices out of their sections, but I did slash them, to give them a chance to run and juice and meld. Instead of orange & lemon juices, I used fresh grapefruit juice, because it's what I had. And, I didn't grind my own spices fresh for the salad. It shouldn't need to be said, but I probably sliced my fennel too thickly, this is only in part due to no longer owning the mandoline.
Regardless, the salad was a nice, refreshing treat and I would make it again. If I can acquire more fennel, I may try to make it for Passover. Because of the simplicity of this recipe, though, I think it really does depend on the quality of the fennel.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

It certainly looks lovely. I might have to try fennel again.

jae said...

ah yes, mandolines. whenever i mention them, people always think i'm talking about the instrument.
i bought mine in china town - it was called a ben rinner instead (different name, same tool). initially i needed it to make a salad for 40 people at my friends' wedding. i was in a rush with the carrots and sliced off the tips of my fingers more than once. uhg. (i hear OXO makes one that's less likely to injure.) at christams i was stuck for a christmas present for my mum's partner and i ended up giving the kitchen tool to him. an excuse to find a new one for myself!
the salad looks great. i've had my copy of world vegetarian since christmas and i have yet to use it (i do own about 70 cookbooks though, so it's sort of understandible) - but i'm thinking i should visit your blog more often to get inspired.

Stacey said...

Michelle, You don't like fennel? You should try it again, it's yummy and made out of good stuff.

Jae, Yeah, people think I'm talking about the instrument, too. There's a post called "a few recommendations" and I think I"ve cooked most of them by now. An added bonus of doing this project is I'm not buying new cookbooks, which is good, because i don't really have room for them.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about technology, and how integrated it has become to our daily lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further innovates, the possibility of transferring our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could experience in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.zoomshare.com/2.shtml]nintendo dsi r4i[/url] DS KwZa)