Monday, February 27, 2006

Tomato Sambal, p 302

Gwen Silva's Tomato Sambal
Takkali Sambola
Sri Lanka
Prep Time: 20-30 min
Cook Time: 20-30 min
WW Pts (cutting oil to 2 Tbsp): 2
WW Pts (as directed): 4

I couldn't find (well, I didn't try that hard) the chili powder called for, so I just used what I hoped was a good quality paprika. Also, it's not really tomato season in the Northeast, so the best tomatoes I could find were cherry tomatoes. They worked fine, but I would like to try this dish again in the summer when NJ is filled with fat, juicy, tomatoes - so sweet they can be eaten like apples. And, I'd find the correct chili powder, too.

I decided to make this dish to go with the sweet potatoes and I decided to make that dish because I love love love curry leaves. If you've never cooked with fresh curry leaves, you should try it. They have a very distinct flavor that can't be matched with anything else. I have a habit of always adding extra curry leaves to a recipe and I will not apologize for that. I also have a habit of eating the curry leaves out of my husband's sambar when we go out for dosas and I will apologize for that.
Dave, I'm sorry that I keep picking the curry leaves out of your sambar whenever you go back to the buffet.
Next time we go to Dosa Grill, I will not eat all your curry leaves.
love, Stacey

This dish is fairly straight forward and is quite tasty. There's only one pan needed and leftovers suffer no ill effects. This does go very well with the Sri Lankan Sweet Potatoes on p 285.

No comments: