Friday, February 17, 2006

Stir-Fried Sweet-and-Sour Potato Shreds, p 271

Shiu-Min Block's Stir-Fried Sweet-and-Sour Potato Shreds
Tien Suong Tu Do
Chinese-American
Prep Time: depends on how long it takes you to julinne 1 lb of potatoes
Cooking Time: less than five minutes
WW Pts, with modifications: 2
WW Pts, as directed: 4

I won't be posting photos because I didn't pay attention and didn't julienne the potatoes. Well, I was going to julienne the potatoes, but sometimes I get lazy in the kitchen and 1/16 inch slivers wasn't something I felt like doing, plus I was hungry. Despite that, it still came out pretty good. Not fabulous, but pretty good.

I'm not a big potato person, but since I needed to cook the potatoes, I chose this recipe. I'll probably make it again so my husband can taste it, and when I do, there will be some serious julienning action.

I cut the canola oil called for in the recipe by 2/3 (from 2Tbs to 2tsp) and I cut the sugar by 1/3 (from 1Tbs to 2tsp). Most importantly, I left the amount of sesame oil the same.

According to the book, when properly cut, the potatoes will cook in only 2 minutes. With my larger potato pieces, I added a little water and covered the dish to let it cook for a few minutes.

It's a fun, different potato dish, and other than the julienning, it's very simple and only calls for one pan.

Leftovers
It's recommended that leftovers are eaten cold. Although I was skeptical about cold potatoes, I ate them right out of the fridge, with a few drops of tamari and they were really good.

No comments: