Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Stewed or "Red-Cooked" Daikon, 176

Shiu-Min Block's Stewed or "Red-Cooked" Daikon
Hung Shao Lo Bo
China
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
WW pts (as specified): 2
WW pts (cutting oil to 1 Tbsp): 1
Bonus: easy, quick, one pot
Bummer: daikon tastes kind of "meaty"

I never made daikon before, but this recipe was easy to follow and went well with the bean curd with hot sauce. I don't know if it was my imagination or what, but I thought there was a
meat-like smell while I was cooking the daikon. I thought there may have been something odd on the stovetop, but the daikon tasted meaty, too. This may be a daikon characteristic or I could just have olfactory issues.

Unless I needed to make daikon, I probably wouldn't make this dish again.


Leftovers
The stewed daikon performed well in leftovers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this once, too. Did not care for it at all! I know the Japanese eat a lot of daikon, but cannot fathom why.

Nikola said...

Anxiety is the most common psychological disorder in the world.general auto insurance